Metaverse is a digital universe that combines virtual and physical reality. It offers its users the chance to buy land, play games and interact with other people across the different platforms online. You can create a character and play poker in space, go to a live concert with your best friend and even have a party with those you love virtually. Thinking of Metaverse, you can’t help but think about the virtual reality (VR) headsets. The Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Playstation VR, Samsung HMD Odyssey, and Lenovo Mirage Solo are some of the most famous ones. Virtual headsets have brought virtual reality to the present life and have dramatically changed the way people view things. So, it seems necessary to have the right Metaverse headset if you wish to join the Metaverse and make your visit a pleasant one.
Virtual reality has turned to a practical reality: it’s easier than ever to put on a VR headset which gives you the chance to immerse yourself in a completely different environment that transforms your entire field of vision. Putting on a VR headset, you get a 360° view, so you can explore interactive landscapes without ever leaving the comfort of your arm chair. With the right VR headset and setup, you can do all you have in mind, from playing next-generation video games to exploring virtual famous locations from all over the world or even go to a concert. All these are possible with having a good VR headset.
How to choose the best VR headsets
Virtual reality headsets don’t work on their own and rely on external devices which present entire environments to the goggles the user wears. The outside device can be a smartphone a computer or a game console. So it is important to find a good VR headset that matches perfectly with your outside device. So, the first decision to make before purchasing a VR headset is to find a type that works best for your device.
- Wireless VR smartphone headsets are basically goggles that hold your smartphone, and use its screen as lenses. There are apps and games which are specially developed to allow you explore virtual environments. Notice that some wireless VR headsets only function with specific smartphone models. When browsing wireless VR headsets for Metaverse, you always should first ask for the headset competency with your smart phone.
- Tethered VR headsets and their wireless models used with computer gaming have their own screens inside the goggles and are powered by a computer or game console through wires that are slightly heavy. Wired headsets typically have superior image quality than the wireless ones. Further, wired VR headsets are significantly more expensive than wireless units (even more than the cost of the computer or console).
Do VR headsets work with any smart phone?
Smartphone virtual reality headsets include several high-profile brands in the VR space, such as the Samsung Gear, Google Daydream, and the Pansonite HMDs, and hundreds of other lesser-known mobile VR headsets, that are mostly based on the Google Cardboard platform.
Smartphone VR headsets are largely compatible with most Android smartphones and iPhones, as long as they fit inside the VR headset. The average screen size range indicated by manufacturers is 4 to 6 inches.
Notice that smart phone VR is considered low-tech and stripped down. Indeed, mobile VR headsets are essentially a plastic casing with a pair of lenses and straps for user comfort which rely on the technology of the inserted smartphone to power virtual reality apps. These caused smartphone VR relatively affordable and compatible to most smart phones. Besides, for the best VR experience on a mobile device, a full HD resolution, with 1920 x 1080 pixels, is required. As the result, a mobile device with a lower resolution still works with VR, but the virtual reality experience will be less enjoyable for sure. Therefore, resolution, power and compatibility are the key factors to consider when you check for the compatibility of a smart phone and a VR headset.
Two main types of devices are developed to experience virtual reality using a smartphone:
- VR handheld viewers: these basic VR devices do not include head straps, so the mobile device is attached to the VR viewer and held up to the users’ eyes.
- Wearable mobile VR HMDs: this device allows the smartphone to be inserted into the headset, and includes head strapping in different forms, which creates a more comfortable VR experience. In addition, these headsets offer additional features to enhance users’ VR experience.
VR headset prices
Since there are so many hidden costs with VR headsets, pricing can be tricky. The most affordable VR headsets seem to be wireless goggle headsets and typically cost less than $100 per pair, but that price doesn’t include the cost of the smartphone needed to power the experience. As we already mentioned not all smart phones match VR headsets. On the other hand, tethered VR headsets cost around $300, however it costs about several hundred dollars to get the required computer or console to enjoy the experience.
purchasing a VR headset and all of the necessary supporting hardware, you have to pay for software which provides the virtual reality. Although some exploration-style apps are free, for example Facebook 360, most games and premium content must be purchased separately. Virtual reality games and apps prices may range from 10 to $50, and should be added to the total cost of ownership.
While most users merely focus on the virtual reality features of VR headsets, at the end of the day they feel pain or discomfort with their eyes, face or neck. This suggests that users need to find one that fits their head comfortably.
One of the key factors in VR headset comfort is the headset strap material. Fabric straps are generally more elastic, and therefore more comfortable. The disadvantage with fabric starps, however, is that they absorb sweat over time and it can be a challenge to clean them.
Plastic, rubberized straps, on the other hand, are more durable and simple to clean. Many VR headsets with plastic straps provide much more comfort as they provide padding near the forehead area.
Best 3 VR headsets for Metaverse
Here are 3 best visual reality headsets introduced to Metaverse lovers.
1. Oculus Quest 2
now called the Meta Quest 2, is one of the best VR headsets for metaverse in the market. It is an all-in-one VR headset that is ideal if you want to get started with virtual reality or just want a headset that does not require a powerful PC to play. It has a more practical design, better display resolution, a 120Hz refresh rate in some games and apps, and faster overall performance. Oculus Quest 2 does all this yet again with no cables, as it is wireless, but still you can connect it to a PC via the Oculus Link cable and get access to full-fat PCVR games.
2. Oculus Rift S
Oculus Rift S is one of the best VR headsets around for connecting to a PC and enjoying Metaverse gaming. The headset has a 2560×1440 resolution display with a fast 80Hz refresh rate. It is light as well, which makes it ideal for long sessions of VR gaming. It also has speakers that are integrated in the headband, which avoids the need to use the original Rift’s onboard headphones while the audio results are fairly impressive.
Further, the Oculus Rift S can deliver room-scale VR without the need to place external sensors around the place. And it comes with the impressive Touch Controllers that nearly track movements and help make VR feel a lot more kinetic and immersive. Besides, the Oculus Rift S has an impressive library of games all on the Oculus Store, Overall, this VR headset is one of the best VR headsets for folks looking for a PC-based system that plays a huge library of great games for a decent price.
3. PlayStation VR system
PlayStation VR system is the best choice if you want to play VR games on a console. It combines a neat headset that looks semi-futuristic and is surprisingly comfortable, with a wide range of very recent VR games. If you have a PS4 or PS4 Pro, then PlayStation VR is one of the more affordable ways to play VR games. PlayStation VR system basically does not need an expensive gaming PC. Yet with the initiative Move controllers and movement tracking, you are still getting a rather high-end VR experience. It can be used to watch VR movies as well. Besides, PlaySation VR also supports PS5. However, it does not fully support the Move controllers.
Final tips before buying a VR headset
- Most VR headsets for metaverse include one or more hand-held controllers for navigating virtual environments. Before starting a VR session, check what each button on the controller does.
- Know virtual reality sickness: some people come up with symptoms of motion sickness while using VR headsets, even when there is no motion. In the case you experience any of these symptoms while using a VR headset, take it off immediately and consult a physician.
- Some wireless VR headset phone units are meant to work only with specific smartphone models. Before buying a wireless VR headset, confirm that it supports your phone.
- If your headset has any padding or soft surfaces, periodically clean the parts to keep them sanitary.